This recipe originally appeared in the Fall 2021 issue of Tracy Anderson Magazine, available now on newsstands and for digital download.
In an effort to eat healthier and feel happier during the holiday season, we’re turning to plant-based cooking—a go-to for Tracy Anderson as she leans toward dairy-free, veggie-based dishes. To make your next get-together an affair to remember, we enlisted Chef Sean Patrick Gallagher and Assistant Chef Garri Kats to create a creamy, vegan version of classic Mac and Cheese.
“It’s okay to be both a chef and a guest at your own holiday table or weeknight cooking celebration,” The Tracy Anderson Method founder writes in the Fall 2021 issue of Tracy Anderson Magazine. And believe us, this easy-to-follow vegan recipe will have you rushing to the table to enjoy every bite with your guests. Just be sure to stock up on the ingredients listed below. You’re going to want to make this recipe again. (And again.)
Vegan Mushroom Mac and Cheese
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 oz vegan butter
- 1 (3.5-oz) package beech mushrooms, ends trimmed
- 1 pint cremini mushrooms, ends trimmed and sliced
- 1 pint maitake mushrooms, ends trimmed and broken into bite-size pieces
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups cashew milk
- 1 cup shredded vegan jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheddar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb chickpea small elbows pasta
- 1½ cups panko, toasted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a heavy pot, melt vegan butter and sauté beech, cremini, maitake, and shiitake mushrooms, until halfway cooked. Remove from pan and whisk flour into remaining butter to create a roux, and allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk in cashew milk and bring up to a bubble to create a sauce, then whisk in vegan jack and cheddar cheeses, Dijon mustard, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook chickpea pasta according to package instructions. Drain and mix with sautéed mushrooms and cheese sauce. Spoon into a baking dish or into individual serving dishes.
- In a bowl, mix together panko, lemon zest, parsley, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Spoon over top of pasta and cheese mixture and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.
For more recipes, pick up the latest issue of Tracy Anderson Magazine, available on newsstands now and on tracyanderson.com.
Categorized under Recipes