The Reinvention Issue of Tracy Anderson Magazine features 46 original recipes that recast classic dishes into creative, healthy forms. Tracy closely collaborated with Chef Alexander Browne and Director of Higher Nutrition Sandra Rojo to put a twist on each recipe, and design the ingredients list around whole-body wellness. This collection of recipes was carefully curated with unique flavor and nutrient profiles to both enliven the palate, and nourish the entire body.
On the menu for this week, we have the delicious Zucchini Cake. Capturing the classic olive oil flavor of traditional Italian cake recipes, this Zucchini Cake is a tasteful addition to an afternoon tea, or an after-dinner sweet. With all natural ingredients and zero gluten, this cake is an indulgence that everyone can enjoy.
Here’s the breakdown on what makes this Zucchini Cake special and celebratory:
- It’s 100% plant-based, vegan, and gluten-free.
- This recipe is a subtle way to incorporate vegetables into a dessert.
- The olive oil keeps this cake moist for days.
Zucchini is a beautiful vegetable with incredibly healthy nutrients. It’s one of those ingredients that’s always great to have on hand in the fridge–from pasta and omelets, to this unique cake. Though there may be the fainthearted who are weary of putting squash in dessert, we assure you that the flavor is perfectly balanced. The original combination of the zucchini, coconut sugar, and olive oil flavors come together for a delightful and subtle tea cake. If you have young ones with sweet tooths, this recipe is delightfully deceptive. “Zucchini adds both soluble and insoluble fiber to support healthy digestion,” says Functional Nutritionist Olivia Peláez, MS, FMCHC. “Rich in water and fiber, zucchini helps support healthy digestion.”
Allergen-Friendly, But Make It Delicious
Here’s the thing: gluten-free gets a bad rap. Whether you or a loved one is avoiding gluten because of celiac disease, gluten intolerance, or just to try it, there’s no reason to skip out on delicious cakes. The same goes for the rest of the ingredients in this cake. It’s vegan and plant-based, without ever compromising in flavor. The ethos behind this Zucchini Cake (and every Tracy Anderson Magazine recipe) is to celebrate natural ingredients for all that they are. We aren’t interested in creating boring versions of unhealthy dishes–it’s about honoring the abundance of flavor and deliciousness of natural foods.
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup zucchini, puréed
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- Extra coconut sugar (for
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add 1 large zucchini to a food processor and blend. Transfer 1 cup of shredded zucchini into a large mixing bowl and purée the rest. Add 1 cup of the puréed zucchini to the bowl. Add olive oil, applesauce, coconut sugar, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice, and salt. Combine dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
- Grease a standard-sized loaf pan with additional olive oil and pour the mix in evenly. Bake until a skewer comes out clean when pierced through the center (about 1 hour and 15 minutes). Let cool before slicing.
For more recipes, pick up the latest issue of Tracy Anderson Magazine, available on tracyanderson.com.
Categorized under Recipes