This recipe originally appeared in the Winter 2022 issue of Tracy Anderson Magazine, available now for digital download.
A nourishing soup that’s satisfying and delicious? Tracy Anderson and Chef Alexander Browne along with Sandra Rojo, our intrepid Food Creative Editor, have done it again. The culinary duo teamed up to elevate your winter menu with 50+ nutrimental recipes—including this Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Soup with Kale—featured in the newest issue of Tracy Anderson Magazine.
“It is key for us to take on the whole self—your nourishment, your sleep patterns, your emotional state, your spiritual being,” Tracy writes in the Winter 2022 issue of Tracy Anderson Magazine, stressing the importance of designing a well-balanced life fueled by mindful movement and better-for-you nutrition. “By taking all of these vital components into account in a holistic manner, we can achieve not just a fleeting victory, but long-term success.”
This winter soup recipe calls for ingredients you may already have in your kitchen, like onions, garlic, fresh rosemary, kale, and mushrooms, among other essentials. In less than an hour, you’ll be greeted by the savory aroma of a nutrient-rich soup you’ll want to make all season long. And trust us: It’ll become a fast favorite of yours.
Keep scrolling for the full recipe.
Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Soup with Kale
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup white wine (for deglazing)
- 4 cups assorted mushrooms (we used maitake and shiitake), sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, stemmed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups curly kale, stemmed and pulled apart into small pieces
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook on low, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent (about 20 minutes).
Add garlic and sauté until aromatic (about 1 minute). Pour in wine and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula to get all the flavorful brown bits into the soup.
- Add mushrooms, rosemary, thyme, and broth.
- Simmer covered for 20 to 30 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- Uncover, season with salt to taste, and toss in kale. Cook uncovered until wilted (3 to 5 minutes).
For more recipes, pick up the latest issue of Tracy Anderson Magazine, available on tracyanderson.com.
Categorized under Recipes